Search engine optimization, or more commonly known as SEO is a method that increases your online visibility, be it a blog, business website or social media page. Different search engines have different rules and regulations for SEO such as Google, Yahoo or eBay’s Cassini. These search engines have programmed algorithms that determine the ranks of the websites on the search result page. All companies and websites try to increase their SEO rankings and appear on the first page of Google because that gives them the utmost online visibility. This article provides a detailed guide to search engine optimization and everything related to it.
Before we get started on the complicated stuff, there are some essential SEO terminologies that you should know in order to understand the concepts better.
- Link Building – it is one of the most extensively used SEO term. Link building refers to getting backlinks to your website in order to increase its ranking.
- Backlink – backlinks are important for improving SEO ranking. It is simple a link to your website that is placed on another website after you visit it. You need a lot of consideration in order to get quality backlinks to your webpage.
- Anchor text – a hyperlink consists of two parts, one is the URL or the destination of the link, other is the text that displays the link in simple words.
- Keywords – keywords are the specific words that search engines use to rank your website. The more accurate and relevant the keywords, the more your ranking on the search engine increases. Anchor texts and keywords are both fundamental to Search Engine Optimization.
- Keyword Density – this term refers to the number of times a particular keywords appear on a page. Although, keywords are important for SEO but they are also a double-edge sword. If you include too many keywords on a page, the quality of the content decreases and the search engine can block your website permanently.
- Do-Follow Links – by default every link on the web is a do-follow link. The web follows every link it encounters and see where it leads. When people visit each others webpages, they leave do-follow links as backlinks on that website.
- No-follow Links – you can turn some links into no-follow links, which means that this link notifies the web to not follow it. No-follow links can prove to be advantageous in case of spam websites.
- Organic Ranking – organic search or organic ranking is the unpaid position of a website on a search engine. Search engine optimization focuses on organic ranking.
- Inorganic Ranking – you can also pay a search engine to rank your website higher, this is called inorganic ranking. Even though inorganic search ranking is completely legal, the experts do not recommend this because it is highly expensive.
- White Hat SEO – this refers to the legal strategies and tactics used to improve your search engine optimization. The white hat SEO includes the method approved by Google and other search engines.
- Black Hat SEO – This term refers to the illegal and backhanded methods used to increase a webpage’s SEO ranking. Black hat SEO usually includes spamming which can result in permanent blocking on the search engine, if detected.
- Alt tag – SEO is not only done through texts and words but a great value of SEO goes into pictures, videos, and podcasts as well. However, the search engine cannot recognize a picture. The only way it shows related search is through the Alt tag. The search engine could only read pictures if you add Alt tag and keywords in it.
The Importance of SEO
The importance of search engine optimization is immense. The biggest reason being the user experience. All the search engines want to give the most accurate results to the queries made into the search box, especially to enhance the user experience. Moreover, in this day and age, the competition is tough, be it businesses, fast-food chains, fashion blogs, YouTube channels or just about everything. Users are unlikely to click on the second page of Google which means that all the website are fighting for a place on the first page. SEO enables websites to improve their positions by creating high-quality and relevant content. Plus, if we consider the amount of fake information, spams and poor-quality content floating around the internet, the need for search engine optimization becomes self-evident.
The Benefits of SEO
Similarly, there are numerous advantages of SEO. Search engine optimization has become the main form of online marketing and taking into account the development of online business, it is obvious that SEO plays an important role in the success of a business. Some benefits of SEO are:
- It increases Online Visibility – as said earlier, SEO increases the online presences of a business, blog or webpage. The chances of your success increases with your online visibility.
- It Increases Online Traffic – online traffic refers to the number of visits you get on your page. The more the visibility, the more online traffic you get and there are high chances that a part of this traffic will convert into paying customers.
- Business Advantages – SEO is especially beneficial when it comes to business. The more exposure your website gets through SEO, the more your business will prosper. A lot of people will visit your business website and buy your services.
- Free Online Marketing – Search engine optimization is also an effective method for free online marketing. Online marketing is as essential as offline marketing especially considering that a large number of people browse internet and use social media. If you carry out the right SEO tactics, you can get exceptional online marketing without spending a dime.
4 Ways to Improve Your SEO
There are many ways in which you can improve your SEO through organic methods. You should note that there are a number of SEO professionals available all around the world such as Toronto SEO consultants. You can employ their services in order to improve your business. The experts know how to do their job but if you think you can manage the job pretty well on your own, then by all means follow these four methods to improve your SEO ranking.
High-Quality and Relevant Content
One way to immediately boost your SEO ranking is to make sure your websites provides high-quality and relevant content to your particular niche. Make sure that the posts and writing on your website have no grammatical and spelling mistakes. It is equally important to provide useful information related to your niche and industry.
Get Backlinks Through Guest Posting
Getting backlinks is essential to SEO ranking however, these backlinks should be high-quality, natural and related to your niche. You can also buy good-quality backlinks but they cost way too much. Guest blogging is an effective way to get high-quality backlinks to your website. Contact a blogger that covers the same industry as you, say fashion, literature, etc. to write a guest post on your website.
Merely optimizing the writing in not enough. If you want an overall SEO for your website, then make sure to add keywords into the pictures, videos and audios on your webpage using the Alt tag. This is sure to boost your Search engine optimization instantly.
Social Media Links
A big part of SEO is to provide social media links such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram on your website. This allows people to access your social media profiles immediately which in turn improve your SEO. People especially youngsters mostly interact through social media that means more exposure for your website.